Wednesday, January 7, 2015

2014: Personal Bests and How To's

I've been trying to decide how to best commemorate 2014- it was, after all, quite the year. A week later than everyone else, I finally decided on a list of the best things I figured out. Here goes.

#1 Personal Best: This spot belongs to none other than the perfect husband, Nate Parkin. Marrying him was easily the best thing I figured out. Our one year anniversary is in a few weeks, so look forward to a post all about that, but let's just say I basically won the lottery. He is the best.

#2 How To: This year I began my process of successfully navigating happy hours with friends/coworkers. I branched out from my usual virgin Pina Colada and can now add virgin Mojitos and Margaritas to the list! My goal is to someday order a drink without explaining to the waiter, "Well you see I don't drink and I never have, but could you just tell me if any of these can be made without alcohol? Yes, thank you- make sure it's virgin!"

#3 How To: I should receive some sort of certification for this, but here's a how to for taking a spouse or significant other/family member to the ER and/or ICU:
  • Bring snacks. You will be there forever, you will get hungry, and there's just no good way to say, "Excuse me nurse, I know my husband has a serious medical condition right now and is practically unconscious because of the pain and/or medicine, but is there any way you could grab me a granola bar? I've been here since 3am and it's now past noon..."
  • Bring a book. Similar to above- you are going to be there forever, and your person may not always be conscious or even in the same room.
  • Wear comfortable clothes, and bring some face wash and deodorant. It could be a while before you feel comfortable going anywhere, and it's nice to know you at least smell ok.
  • Emotionally prepare yourself. Call me a terrible person, but it turns out it is extremely normal and common to become frustrated (and even a little resentful) when a significant other needs intensive medical care. I can't explain it, but for some reason I was often tempted to act like a 3 year old and be mad that Nate was getting all the attention, that he had so many needs, and I was sleeping on stiff cot. Luckily a trusted source had warned me of this, and I coped a little better.
  • Be nice to the nurses. This will result in extra blankets, applesauce, and the use of their exclusive fridge.
#4 Personal Best: I found some fantastic recipes this year. I will only list the ones I've made 10+ times, and trust me- they are keepers!


#5 How To: Since the demise of my car Legolas and since working downtown, I've become quite acquainted with riding the bus. My best tips are to use Google Maps in conjunction with the app OneBusAway, and you are sure to at least know where the bus should have been. Patience is another good thing to have. Also don't talk to anyone, depending on what part of town the bus goes through.

#6 Personal Best: I had and have a lot of religious questions, but this will always be one of my best verses: Believe in God ; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom , and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend. 

Thanks 2014- it was a refining year and the start of an entirely new life. Here's to more!

No comments:

Post a Comment