Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sometimes Proposals Come in Threes

I don't know- it just happened that way?

The first time Nate proposed was, I think, my personal favorite. A few days before we had decided getting married was going to be a thing, and then when we realized we only had a few weeks left of the beautiful autumn colors, that sped up the process. So, after day one of grueling ring shopping (I may just dedicate an entire post to how frustrating ring and dress shopping were... it's just hard when you know what you want and no one seems to think it's credible. Upon finding both, I have the strongest urge to go back to every jewelry and dress store and say, "SEE?!?!?! IT IS REAL, I'M NOT CRAZY!!!!" while brandishing my ring and dress in their face. Though, then they probably would have their crazy suspicions confirmed... sorry, bridezilla coming out.) 

Anyway, after day one of ring shopping, we went to dinner and then to a show, and finished the night by snuggling up to a movie at my house. We started talking about getting married and being engaged, and Nate talked about thinking of ways to propose. I told him that I didn't care how it happened- I'd be happy with whatever he did. Nate, surprised, asked, "Really?"
"Yeah," I shrugged, "I don't care."
"Oh. well..." Nate sat back, "Caitlan. Will you marry me?"
 "Yes," I nodded, "yes I will."

Nate teared up a bit, and I just laughed as we hugged. That's pretty indicative of us- Nate being sweet and thoughtful, and me just... I don't know- being inappropriate I guess. It fits though.:) So then we talked about how excited we were, how much we loved each other, and how obviously our lives were going to be perfect because we are such a perfect match and we do everything right. 

So, that was Saturday, and after ring shopping on Monday and Tuesday, we found the ring! I just have to take a minute and say that ring shopping with Nate made me realize that he is the most perfect guy. Not the fact that we were ring shopping, but more the concept of how wonderful Nate is when I am upset.  I thought ring shopping was the most frustrating thing in the whole world. You saw the picture- my ring is the simplest thing ever! Anyway, I would stress out and he was extremely patient and kind. Nate is way too nice to me- and he's like that with everything- nice when I'm unreasonable, and then still considerate in every way- making sure I get exactly what I want. I don't know where I found this guy, but he is the best and I am keeping him.

Anyway, when we finally found the ring, we realized it was going to have to be made and would take a while. So, in the mean time, we picked up some Wal-Mart bling. You would not believe how many compliments I got on this thing- it doesn't even look close to real, but whatev! And so here we have proposal #2. Nate got on one knee in a movie theater parking lot, and proposed with this big plastic rock. I said yes, again. 

Not bad, Wal-Mart. Solid plastic is not bad.

But... this one is a lot better. And real. :)

So I wore my fake ring for about two weeks. I told Nate I felt like we were fake engaged because I had a fake ring. I say the sweetest things, I know. 

Anyway, Nate had been telling me that the ring was taking longer than expected and he wasn't sure when it would be done. Meanwhile our WalMart bling was starting to turn my finger green, and the silver shine was turning a nice copper color. So yesterday he came and picked me up from work, and I thought we would go home, but instead he took me to the Provo River Trail. 

This trail has special meaning for us as we have taken many a walk there, and it is also where, after much perseverance on Nate's part, I finally told him I liked him back and we could start dating. So, agreeing that this was a good spot to take engagement photos. Nate took me there under the premise that we were looking for good photo opps. I noticed, however, he was walking a little more quickly than usual, and to be honest it was my secret hope this walk was more than just photo spots.  

We reached the bench where we had sat to have little chats, and sat down. The leaves were beautiful next to the river, and even the sunlight was at a perfect afternoon gleam. As we sat there, we talked about other times we had been there, and about getting married. Nate mentioned that he had wanted to marry me for a long time, and so we talked about times we had both felt that way. After some sweet nothings were exchanged, he said, "Well, that reminds me, I have a question for you."

He stood up, knelt on the ground, and asked me if I would marry him, and spend forever with him. I said, "Yes, and I'll love you forever too." So then we kissed and it was very nice. :)

Nate is the greatest guy in the whole world. The more we're together, the more I feel like I snagged him and like it or not, I'm going to keep him because he is so wonderful. He's so nice, caring, patient, considerate... I could go on forever. Know that he is the best and I could not ask for more. :)


1 comment:

  1. 3 proposals for 3 "times" dating, I suppose! So happy for you amica. And yes, I totally blogstalked you. :)

    ReplyDelete