Saturday, July 7, 2012

How do I contact thee... Let me count the ways

So today Jessie and I were comparing notes on these online calorie tracker programs, and discovered it also has a messaging feature! I promptly sent Jessie a stupid message (stupid because of content and also because she is sitting across the room). As I was typing the message, it occurred to me how many channels were available to me simply to tell her today was Saturday, which then evolved to how many ways there are to just contact anyone these days. Let us begin.

Face to face communication: Considered a luxury. Used for times when what we have to say is especially important or exciting. If I spend time with someone face to face, it means I have decided my time with them is more valuable than it would be with someone else at that moment, and I am there because I want to be.

Phone Call: When face to face is not possible. Still something I reserve for those I consider more important than others, or- if they are unable to communicate in another way, I guess I'll use a call on them.

Texting: My message is not of utmost importance, but I'd still like you to see it before the day ends. I don't necessarily expect or need a response soon, but as mentioned, the hope is for a reply within 24 hours.

Email: Usually just for work or school. I don't actually expect to hear back, unless you're like, over 40, and this is still the way you communicate.

Google Chat: Hey! We're both online at the same time, we might as well talk about what we're doing online! Obviously a google chat conversation is not priority, it is a bonus to whatever else you were initially doing.

Facebook message: More pressing than an email, but still low on the urgency list.

Facebook post: I want everyone to know that I am funny and you are funny and we are friends.

Facebook chat: All of the above options are either inconvenient or have failed.

MyFitnessPal messaging: Joke.

Linked In: I am on it, but not savvy enough to use it. Do not expect a response if you contact me this way.

Blogging: Mass communication. Or I have something to say, but to no one in particular. However, leaving a comment on someone's blog is a good way to let them know you are thinking of them or that you notice their posts without really expecting any sort of response in return. Passive thoughtfulness, perhaps.

An Actual Letter: For things like birthday cards and thank you notes. Or a missionary. Virtually unheard of otherwise.

Ah what a great world we live in. When something monumental happens, expect to find out via 11 different modes of communication. And I don't even have a smartphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment